Small Business Waste Program Overview
Program Goal and Benefits:
Provide safe, affordable and ecologically appropriate disposal/recycling of hazardous materials at reasonable rates to businesses qualifying as Very Small Quantity Generators (VSQGs). Businesses must be located within Coconino County.
Utilization of the Small Business Waste Program (SBWP) provides businesses with a local facility for the disposal/recycling of hazardous wastes. Hazardous wastes are generated from many different chemical products, types of businesses, and activities. Often, businesses that use, manufacture, or handle the following generate hazardous waste:
- Petroleum products
- Paints, dyes, printing inks, thinners, solvents, or cleaning fluids
- Pesticides, herbicides, insecticides, or rodenticides
- Materials that dissolve metals, paints, paper, or clothing
- Flammable or combustible materials
- Universal waste such as batteries and fluorescent lamps containing mercury
- Products that are accompanied by a Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS), shipping label or placard, indicating that the product is hazardous, corrosive, flammable, toxic, ignitable, or reactive.
By offsetting transportation costs and combining wastes from multiple businesses, utilization of the SBWP offers an economical disposal option for businesses. All wastes are recycled and/or disposed of in accordance with all federal, state and local regulations.
Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generator Requirements:
According to federal regulations (40 CFR 261.5), a VSQG is a generator (business owner) that meets the following three criteria:
- Generates less than 220 pounds of hazardous waste (defined by RCRA) in a calendar month; and
- Accumulates at any time or generates less than 2.2 pounds of acute hazardous waste in a calendar month (acute hazardous waste begins with an EPA waste code of "P" or the following "F" codes: F020, F021, F022, F026, and F027); and
- Accumulates no more than 2,200 pounds of hazardous waste (defined by RCRA) at any one time.
What do businesses need to do in order to participate in the SBWP?
- Please speak with the HPC’s Environmental Program Specialist to determine program eligibility either by phone at (928) 213-2157. If your business does not qualify for the SBWP, there are other Hazardous Waste Options for Coconino County businesses.
- Review the VSQG requirements (above) and review the transportation and costs associated with your waste(s).
- Complete and submit the online Generator Certification Electronic Form or complete and return the printable Generator Certification Form. Printed forms must be returned by fax to (928) 527-1637 or through standard mail to: Small Business Waste Program, ATTN: Environmental Program Specialist, 211 W. Aspen Avenue, Flagstaff, AZ 86001.
- After your Generator Certification has been reviewed, the SBWP will contact your business to schedule an appointment. Business waste will not be accepted without an appointment or completed paperwork. If your business does not qualify for assistance, other options can be provided to you.
- Safely and securely transport waste(s) to the HPC with proper labeling and containerization.
All materials are weighed, inventoried, segregated and a final bill is generated. Final prices reflect the processing and disposal / recycling costs. All SBWP invoices will be billed through City Hall. Statements / Invoices will be mailed out at the beginning of each month. SBWP invoice payment is accepted at City Hall located at 211 W. Aspen Avenue, Flagstaff, AZ 86001.