Flagstaff's First Climate Action and Adaptation Plan
What is a Climate Plan?
The Climate Action and Adaptation Plan will create a roadmap for the Flagstaff community to reduce our greenhouse gas emissions and adapt to a changing climate.
The Climate Plan will build upon the information gathered on projected climate changes in Arizona, Flagstaff's greenhouse gas emissions, community vulnerabilities, and the priorities, ideas and concerns we hear from Flagstaff residents. The Plan will focus on activities that achieve the greatest emission reductions or do the most to increase our community preparedness, in the most cost-effective manner.
We aim to build a plan that will rally the community around strong climate actions that have measurable benefits for the community. Learn more about climate change in Arizona, or explore other cities' climate action plans. For a more local take, check out the Grand Canyon Trust's Climate Plan explainer here.
How do I get involved?
Join us: Coffee and Climate monthly meet-ups
Want to talk to City staff about climate change in Flagstaff or the upcoming Climate Plan? Stop by our coffee and climate sessions, held in the second week of every month. We will visit a different Flagstaff coffee shop each month.
Coffee and Climate
Wednesday, March 14th
Location: Cedar House Coffee Shop, 2009 E Cedar Ave, Flagstaff, AZ 86004
12:00 pm - 2:00 pm
The owner requests we have our group park down the street at the nearby church’s parking lot (Covenant Church). (The church has kindly offered Cedar House the use of that space). So that Cedar House can have spaces available for their to-go customers in their limited parking spots.
Sign up for the Climate Plan newsletter!
To sign up for this newsletter and update list, fill out this short form here.
Coming Up: Future open houses and community forums
- Our first Community Open House was on January 24th, 2018 at the Aquaplex. Check out this video recap.
- We'll host the second Community Open House in early Spring, and the third Open House in July.
- We will host two more Community Forums on this Plan: one in early Spring, and one in July. Subscribe to Flagstaff Community Forum updates to be notified of the next Forum opportunity.
Public Input So Far
Here's what we heard from the Community in January
View our Public Input Summary for the January Open House and the Community Forum. For more details:
- Check out the Open House presentation, educational materials and display boards here.
- See the Community Forum topic to view more results about climate change concerns, priorities, and actions. Over 150 community members contributed their ideas!
What's happening now?
The official Climate Action and Adaptation Plan process began in fall 2017. Some highlights of our work so far:
- We hosted our first Community Open House and Flagstaff Community Forum in January. City staff are now are analyzing community input and will begin to write the first drafts of the Plan using this feedback.
- We've begun researching historical climate trends in Flagstaff and Coconino County, and are working to develop climate projections to better understand what climate change in Flagstaff will look like in the future.
- We created a Community Engagement Strategy to set a strategic direction for how we will work with community members to get input on this plan.
- We formed a Steering Committee of community members and City staff to guide the development of the Climate Plan.
Disclaimer: Neither the Climate program nor any of its partners endorse a particular business, company or any organization through the Climate Plan website. Neither the Climate program nor any of its partners make any warranty, expressed or implied, or assume any legal liability or responsibility, for the businesses, organizations, products or processes identified or disclosed in the Climate Plan website.