|      |   

Go To Search
I Want To...
Click to Home

HPC Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) Sheet
Why is the Hazardous Product Center (HPC) where it is?
  1. The HPC is a permanent facility that residents and qualifying businesses can use all year long.
  2. Having the HPC at the Landfill increases the landfill life as we are able to pull electronics and hazardous waste out of the Landfill working face that should / can be recycled or disposed of properly.
  3. There are the hazards with having a hazardous waste facility such as the HPC located in town. If in the event, a hazardous situation did occur at the HPC, an immediate danger to life and health could be imposed on the public and the environment.
  4. Having the HPC at the Landfill is the most cost effective and efficient use of taxpayer dollars.
  5. There are currently no plans to locate such a facility or drop-off location in city limits due to the high costs of land acquisition, construction, and operation of such a facility, including personnel that would be required to monitor even a drop-off location to avoid illegal dumping issues.

Is there another place in town that will accept any of my hazardous waste?

Yes but waste types accepted in town are limited.
  • Residential Cell Phones and Consumer batteries (AA, AAA, C, D and rechargeable batteries) can be dropped off in the recycling bin located across from the restrooms at the main Public Library in downtown Flagstaff during open operating hours.
  • Compact Fluorescent Lamps (CFLs) can be dropped off at either Home Depot Location, The Lite Company (on Fourth Street) or the HomeCo Ace Home Center on Butler.
  • Electronics may be accepted at Staples (928) 214-8424 and Best Buy (928) 522-6141. Please call in advance for more information.
  • Old Fire extinguishers can be taken to Personnel Zee Safety. Call (928) 526-3130 for more information/directions.
  • BBQ Propane cylinders are accepted at Titan Propane. Call (928) 526-3147 for more information.

What is the best way to bring all my waste to the HPC?

  1. First, only bring waste to the HPC during open hours (Wednesday and Friday from 9:00 am till 3:00 pm and on Saturdays from 8:00 am till 2:00 pm) or by appointment.
  2. Second, make sure your waste is properly labeled as to what is in the containers if a manufacturer’s label is not visible. If you have a waste in a container and don’t know what it is, inform HPC staff of all relevant facts such as I used to paint hobby airplanes, or my mom used to do a lot of gardening…providing relevant information can help us determine the nature of an unknown waste and how to proceed with proper and safe handling of the waste.
  3. Third, securely transport your waste to the HPC so that waste is not spilling or leaking. If a container is impaired and lost its integrity, please make sure to place the item in a secondary container or plug the leak. Leaky waste can react with other waste and pose a serious health or safety hazard. Inform HPC staff upon arrival for immediate assistance.

Why is the HPC only open to residents 3 days/week? and when is it open to residents?

The HPC is open year round and residents can use the facility year-round. On days the HPC is closed, staff is processing the hazardous waste you brought us. Often HPC staff is required to utilize personal protective equipment (PPE) such as a full face respirator or a tyvek to process hazardous waste. Wearing PPE protects HPC staff from hazardous volatile environments which can pose an immediate danger to life and health.

I have a business; can I bring my hazardous waste to the HPC?

Yes but by appointment only. The HPC has a voluntary program for businesses. The Small Business Waste Program (SBWP) provides qualifying businesses located within Coconino County with a local, economical and year-round facility for the acceptance of hazardous waste. Business must qualify as a Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generator (CESQG)*. Contact the SBWP at 527.9005 or visit us online to determine program eligibility or to schedule an appointment. If your business does not currently qualify to participate in the SBWP, other options may be available.

***Business waste includes wastes from Property Managers, Property Management Companies, Landlords, Non-profits, Government Agencies and Schools.

I have old gasoline and/or diesel fuel which I need to dispose of safely and properly and I want my container back…

Fuel containers to be emptied are accepted during open facility hours but for safety precautions your fuel container cannot be emptied until the facility is closed to the public. Fuel containers will only be emptied/poured by HPC staff when:
  • There are two qualified HAZWOPERED employees on site as requried by Standard Operating Procedures.
  • There is no undue hazard present to the public.

Please call (928) 527-9005 in advance and check to see that these requirements are met. You can also leave your container with your contact information at the HPC during open facility hours and staff will notify you when your gas container is available for pick-up.

I just have a TV or one automotive battery or a few fluorescent lamps or a small amount of waste; can I leave it outside the HPC?

Absolutely not. Waste of any sort cannot be left outside the HPC. Waste left outside unattended and unaware of can react with the weather, get broken, release environmental hazards or pose a safety threat the HPC staff and the public. The HPC facility must be open and staff must be present to accept any quantity of waste. Residents can drop off electronic and hazardous waste Wednesday and Friday from 9:00 am till 3:00 pm and on Saturday from 8:00 am till 2:00 pm. Businesses must schedule an appointment by calling (928) 527-9005.

I have sharps / needles that I need to dispose of safely; can I bring them to the HPC or put them in my trash?

Sharps/needles are not accepted at the HPC. Sharps and needles pose a threat to Landfill operators and wildlife if not properly disposed of.

Citizens Against Substance Abuse (CASA) in conjunction with law enforcement holds a sharps collection event twice a year; hold on to your sharps and dispose of at the CASA event for safe and proper disposal. Please contact CASA at (928) 779.5361 for more information. If you would prefer to be notified in advance of these collection events, please call (928) 527-9005 and ask to get on the automatic notification list.

Or after following ADEQ's instructions for household sharps disposal, residents can dispose of their sharps in normal trash or at the Cinder Lake Landfill. For more information, please review ADEQ's Sharps brochure.

What can I do with my old expired medications / over-the counter medications and prescription medications; can I bring them to the HPC or flush them down the toilet?

Old medications are not accepted at the HPC. Old/expired medication should NEVER be flushed down the toilet. Old/expired medications and drugs pose a serious threat to our water sources, water treatment plants as well as children, pets and wildlife.

Citizens Against Substance Abuse (CASA) in conjunction with law enforcement holds a medication/drug disposal event twice a year; hold on to your old medications and dispose of at the CASA event for safe and proper disposal. Please contact CASA at (928) 779.5361 for more information. If you would prefer to be notified in advance of these collection events, please call (928) 527-9005 and ask to get on the automatic notification list.

Or after following ADEQ's Prescription Drug Disposal Brochure or FDA's Guidelines on Unused Medications, medications / pharmaceuticals can be disposed of in normal trash with ultimate disposal occurring at the Cinder Lake Landfill.

I have a smoke detector; does the HPC take smoke detectors?

There are two types of smoke detectors:  
  1. Ionization smoke detectors contains americium-241, a low level radioactive source and
  2. Photoelectric smoke detectors

Residential Ionization Smoke Detectors:
  • Less than 5 residential ionization smoke detectors can be placed in your normal trash for disposal or be disposed of at the working face of the landfill.
  • Less than 5 residential ionization smoke detectors per visit are also accepted at the Hazardous Products Center (HPC) for recycling.
  • Ionization Smoke detectors can also be sent back to the manufacturer. Keep the smoke detector unit intact, do not take apart. Send smoke detector unit back to manufacturer. View the smoke detector manufacturer list (provided by County of Santa Barbara Public Works Department Resource Recovery & Waste Management Division).
Ionization Smoke Detectors from businesses which include contractor remodels, schools, government organizations and housing complexes:
  • Businesses are encouraged to contact Curie Environmental Services for recycling ionization smoke detectors and other radioactive articles.

  • Photoelectric type detectors do not contain radioactive material and can be placed in the trash for disposal.

I have a helium balloon tank, will the HPC accept it?

No. Make sure the helium balloon tank is completely emptied and place it in the normal trash for disposal.

I broke a Compact Fluorescent Lamp (CFL) or a thermometer, what should I do/how can I clean it up?

I heard you give away free paint and other household products, is that true?

Yes, yes it is true.
  • The HPC screens all incoming paint. If latex paint is in good condition, it is filtered twice, blended and pumped into 5 gallon containers for free. The re-blended paint is for exterior application only and comes in a variety of earth toned neutral colors.
  • The Drop and Swap area of the HPC contains other free reusable products. You do not need to drop something off to swap an item. Stock varies daily. Although Drop & Swap has no set limitations, we do ask kindly that you be considerate of others and do not take more than you need. Currently, the Drop & Swap area has automotive, cleaning, gardening and other painting products for free.

What can I do with my empty paint cans?

Latex paint cans can be recycled if they are clean. Clean is defined as the latex paint has been completely dried and removed from the container. Dried latex paint can be peeled out easily and then the cans can be recycled.

What can I do with my leftover paint?

All paint is accepted at the HPC during operating hours but residents are encouraged to separate "good" and "bad" paint before heading out to the HPC. Read more about identifying paint types, proper storage and solidification.

What if my question has not been answered?

Please contact HPC staff at (928) 527-9005.