Landscape Watering Rules
Strategy I Water Awareness
This is in effect when water demand is equal to or less than safe water production capability*
- Odd-numbered addresses may irrigate Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday.
- Even-numbered addresses may irrigate Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday.
- No irrigation on Mondays.
- No irrigation is allowed between 9 am and 5 pm.
- Incidental hand watering is allowed daily except between 9 am and 5 pm. Hand watering requires that the conveyance (hose, bucket, etc.) be in hand for the duration of a watering session; hoses running freely or sprinklers attached to hoses are not considered hand watering.
- Vehicle washing is allowed; A hose with a spray-control nozzle (available for free from the Water Conservation office!) and bucket is encouraged to reduce unnecessary run-off into the street
Strategy Level II Water Emergency
This is in effect when water demand exceeds safe production capability for five consecutive days
- In addition to the restrictions in Level I, no irrigating is permitted.
- Vehicle washing is allowed only for commercial car washes and for public health and safety.
- Washing driveways, sidewalks, and tennis courts is not allowed.
- No potable water can be used for filling ornamental fountains, artificial ponds, or streams.
- Recreational swimming pools, spas, or wading pools holding more than 100 gallons cannot be filled.
- Rates for water increase over 6,401 gallons.
- Potable water standpipe rates increase to 130% of established rate. Standpipe use is limited to within 25-mile radius of City Hall.
Strategy Level III: Water Crisis
This is in effect when water demand exceeds total production capability, and the amount of water in storage may impair fire protection for the City
- No potable water use outside.
Safe Production Capability means 90% of the total water resources available (measured in millions of gallons per day, and based on potable water production and distribution)
Noncompliance could result in a $25 (Strategy I), $50 (Strategy II), and $100 (Strategy II) fee assessed to your water bill. This fee doubles with each repeat violation.
To report a Watering Rules Violation - call 928-213-2116
Special Permits & Provisions
Landscape establishment watering permits are available from the Water Services Office. They authorize daily irrigation for a maximum of 30 days to establish new landscapes. There is a $10 fee, and we require proof of new landscaping, in the form of a purchase receipt or landscaper's design plan. Call 928-213-2407 or email the Water Rebate Division.
Commercial provisions are available for businesses that require daily outdoor water use for the business to succeed, such as landscape nurseries. Requests for a commercial provision must be made in writing to the Water Services Director. Commercial provisions will not be approved for aesthetic landscaping.