2007 Emergency Services Accomplishments
Tactical Operations Team
- Purchased a LENCO B.E.A.R. (Ballistic Engineered Armored Response - vehicle) using Homeland Security funds
- Responded to a call to assist the Coconino County Sheriff's Office, with a barricaded suspect
- Assisted the Metro Unit with the service of five high-risk search warrants
- Assisted the Police Department's Detective division with service of a high-risk arrest warrant
- Assisted in the search of an armed subject's residence, and several square miles of forest land in the area of his residence after the subject fled from officers
Hostage Negotiations Team
- Acquisition of a state-of-the-art crisis phone with observation capabilities
- Members gained familiarity with the new equipment and attended a combined training with the Tactical Operations Team and Explosives Disposal Team
- Two negotiators attended a 40 hour Public Agency Training Council Seminar, taught by a retired New York Police Department officer with many years of experience as a full-time negotiator
- Responded to seven calls for service, three of which were law enforcement jurisdictions outside the City of Flagstaff. Most of the calls involved a weapon, during two incidents the suspect discharged a weapon. The most intense call out of the year occurred in the Coconino County Sheriff's jurisdiction when a suspect barricaded himself inside his residence after an altercation with his brother. A negotiator responded to the residence along with the Tactical Operations Team, but the suspect ignored the negotiator and shot at the officers. A tactical entry was made and the suspect was arrested.
Explosive Disposal Team
- Responded to 17 calls for service both inside and outside the City of Flagstaff. Many of these calls were for improvised explosive devices.
- Conducted numerous explosive destruction, inspections, sweeps for bomb threats, security assignments and dignitary protection details
- Provided training to law enforcement officers and civilians on bomb threats, explosive identification, explosive breaching, mail/package bombs, search techniques, suicide bombers and large vehicle bombs.
- Participated in several hundred hours of standard skills training
- Attended specialized training at International Association of Bomb Technicians and Investigators International Convention
- One member attended and graduated from the Bomb Technician Recertification Course in Huntsville, Alabama