The City Clerk’s Office prepares the agendas for City Council meetings. Agendas are typically available the Friday prior to a meeting. Full Council meeting agenda packets are posted to our website. To sign up to receive notification and links to agendas as they are posted to the website, click here

Boards and Commissions

Information for boards and commissions is available on the Board and Commission webpage. The City Clerk’s Office collects applications from citizens who wish to serve on boards and commissions. We provide support on appropriate meeting protocol and formal training to board and commission members as well as the staff liaisons who support boards and commissions. We also work with members of our boards and commissions answering general and technical questions and providing guidance on Arizona’s Open Meeting Law and Conflict of Interest Law.

Campaign Finance Reports

During an active election cycle, candidates and political committees are required to routinely file campaign finance reports. According to state law, their completed reports must be posted on-line. You may access these reports from the Elections webpage. 

City Charter

The City Charter is the City of Flagstaff’s founding document, first passed and approved by the voters in 1958. The Charter provides for a Council-Manager form of government and establishes how the City does its business.  

City Code

The City Code is the body of local laws that governs Flagstaff. It is maintained by the City Clerk’s Office. Only the City Council can amend, delete, or add sections of Code. When changes are made to City Code, they must be made by ordinance. Unless declared by emergency, code amendments become effective thirty days after adoption. 

Domestic Partnership Registry

The City of Flagstaff has established a Domestic Partnership registry. Domestic partners may apply for placement on this registry for a nominal fee. Domestic partners are issue a Certificate of Domestic Partnership and an identification card. When the card is presented to any city facility, the partner receives the same benefits that married couples do. The registry has a reciprocity provision that recognizes members other communities’ domestic partnership registries 


The City’s Clerk’s Office is responsible for the City’s elections. During active election cycles, election information is posted on the website, with complete information as it becomes available.

Initiative, Referendum and Recall

Initiative actions are typically a proactive activity where citizens initiate the legislative act rather the governmental body and citizens then vote on whether or not they want the new law. 
Referendum actions are typically a reactive activity. They are undertaken in response to a governmental action and they refer that governmental action to the voters for their consideration. 
A recall action is an action that is taken against a member of the governing body. The member of the governing body must be in office at least six months before a recall action can be taken out. 
Initiative, referendum, and recall are provided for under Title 19 of the Arizona Revised Statutes. The Clerk’s Office prepares packets containing the law and the forms needed in order to file for an initiative, referendum, or recall action. 

Contact the City Clerk for more information about required forms and timelines that are required by state law. 

Liquor Licenses

The City’s processing fee of $815 is due at the time of receipt of the a liquor license. The City Clerk’s Office works in conjunction with the State Department of Liquor Licenses and Control on liquor licenses for establishments selling liquor. The City Council considers the application and issues a recommendation on every license. The City Clerk’s Office assists the state in posting liquor license notices and applications on the premises where a liquor license will be used. These notices must be posted for 20 days before the City Council can issue a recommendation to the State. Once an application is sent to the City from the Department of Liquor Licenses and Control, it takes approximately 45 days for the City Council to issue a recommendation.

Off-Track Betting and Bingo Licenses

Off-track betting license applications and bingo license applications are available in the Clerk’s Office. The fee for an initial application for off-track betting is $480. Thereafter, the renewal fee is $380. Licenses are good for one year and either must be renewed or are discontinued. The City Clerk processes all off-track betting and bingo licenses. For more information. 

Public Records Requests

The City Clerk’s Office is responsible for handling formal public records requests. While the Freedom of Information Act does not apply to non-federal public agencies like the City of Flagstaff, the Arizona Public Records Law does. A.R.S. § 39-121.03 states that any person may request to examine or be furnished copies and that the custodian of such records shall promptly furnish such copies. As such, requests for records are treated with priority. Requests for public records must be submitted through the online Public Records Portal and must contain your contact information. In most cases, payment in advance is required before copies will be made.