Current City and Zoning Code
Staff is currently working on several different amendments to the Zoning Code.
Upcoming Zoning Code Amendments that are Planned
- Miscellaneous modifications to address a series of technical corrections, resolve conflicts, clarify requirements, etc.
- Modifications to implement the goal, policies, and implementation strategies of the La Plaza Vieja Neighborhood Plan (PDF).
- Modifications to implement a series of public requests to amend the Zoning Code related to rock outcropping, seeping springs, wildlife corridors, and prairie dogs.
Proposed New Amendments Open for Public Comment
- Case Number PZ-21-00066 - Zoning Code Text Amendment - 2021: Accessory Dwelling Unit and Accessory Structure Encroachments Requirements (Updated 04-07-2021) (PDF)
- Case Number PZ-21-00056 - Zoning Code Text Amendment - 2021: Marijuana Uses (Updated 04-07-2021) (PDF)
- Case Number PZ-19-00123 Updates to Zoning Code 2020 - Neighborhood Community Commercial (NCC) (Updated July 22, 2020) (PDF)
- Planning Work Session - August 14, 2019
- City Council Work Session - October 8, 2019
- July 15, 2020 Virtual Open House Meeting (English)
- Video Virtual Open House Meeting
- July 20, 2020 Virtual Open House Meeting (Spanish Translation will be Provided)
- Spanish Translation of the Presentation for the Virtual Open House Meeting
- Planning Work Session - August 12, 2020
- City Council Work Session - August 25, 2020
- City Council Work Session - April 27, 2021
- Potential Planning Commission Hearing - On Hold
- Potential City Council 1st Hearing - On Hold
- Potential City Council 2nd Hearing - On Hold
- Case Number PZ-19-00248 Updates to Zoning Code 2020 - Outdoor Lighting Requirements (PDF)
- Potential Planning Commission Work Session - Spring, 2021
- Potential Planning Commission Hearing - Spring, 2021
- Potential City Council Work Session - Spring, 2021
- Case Number PZ -19-00127 Updates to Zoning Code 2019 - Mixed Use - Updated June 18, 2019 (PDF)
- Planning Commission Work Session - June 28, 2019
- Planning Commission Work Session - August 14, 2019
- Planning Commission Work Session - On Hold
- Case Number PZ-19-00169 Updates to Zoning Code 2019 - Telecommunication Facilities (ON HOLD) (PDF)
- City Council Work Session - January 14, 2020
Email Comments & Question
Comments and questions may be emailed to:
Dan Symer, AICP
Email Dan Symer
Note: All amendments that have incorporate in the codified Zoning Code.
Previously Approved Amendments:
- Division 10-20.50 (Amendments to the Zoning Code Text and the Zoning Map): adopted on November 5, 2013, Ordinance Number 2013-21. These amendments established a new process and procedure for zone changes.
- Section 10-50.100.080.E (Flagstaff Mall and Marketplace District): adopted on November 5, 2013, Ordinance Number 2013-22. These amendments allowed for the installation of a new monument sign for the Flagstaff Mall and Marketplace District.
- Division 10-50.100 (Sign Standards): adopted on November 18, 2014, Ordinance Number 2014-27. These amendments to the City's sign standards addressed concerns from the City Council and local residents with the complexity of the former sign standards, especially for building-mounted signs, and for the proliferation of temporary signs within the City.
- Division 10-20.100 (Assurance of Performance for Construction): adopted on March 4, 2015, Ordinance Number 2015-01. These amendments updated the standards and procedures regarding assurances for construction.
- Section 10-40.30.050 (Industrial Uses) and Sections 10-80.20.060 (Definitions, "F.") and 10-80.20.200 (Definitions, "T."): adopted on May 5, 2015, Ordinance Number 2015-03. These amendments to the industrial zones, Table B, Allowed Uses and in the definitions clarify that freight and trucking facilities are a permitted use in the RD (Research and Development Zone).
- A comprehensive suite of amendments throughout the Zoning Code under Ordinance 2016-07 adopted on February 16, 2016 comprising mostly minor clarifications and corrections, but also some significant amendments to Section 10-40.40.030 to allow single-family dwellings and duplexes by right in the CC Zone, Section 10-40.60.260 (Mixed Use) and 10-40.60.280 (Planned Residential Development), Section 10-50.80.080 (Parking Spaces, Parking Lot Design and Layout) and in Division 10-50.110 to add two new building types; apartment building and stacked triplex.
- Division 10-50.100 (Sign Standards): adopted on June 21, 2016, Ordinance Number 2016-22. These amendments reconciled the sign standards with the U.S. Supreme Court's decision in the Reed v. Town of Gilbert.
- Series of amendments adopted April 4, 2017 as Ordinance 2017-10. The amendments included: Section 10-50.80.080.C (ADA Parking), clarifying the depth of an ADA parking space; Sections 10-40.60.030, 10-80.20.010 (ADUs) created a definition for Attached and Detached ADUs, created standards for the attachment, and clarified the required amenities; Sections 10-40.30, and 10-40.40, 10-50.80 and 10-80.20.160 (Places of Worship), created a definition and land use classification for places of worship, and permit the use in all zones; and Section 10-90.40.030 (Rural Floodplain Map), revised the rural floodplain map back to the boundaries of the 1991 map.
- Series of amendments adopted December, 19 2017 as Ordinance 2017-31 primarily to the Transect zone related standards.
- A modification to the Section 10- 50.100.100 Sign Districts of Special Designation to add the West University Drive Entrance District sign district and related provisions. Adopted March 13, 2018. Ordinance Number 2018-14
- A modification to the approval process for a Conditional Use Permit to allow the City Council to review the decision of the Planning and Zoning Commission, including the ability to uphold, approve, or deny a Conditional Use Permit.
- A series of amendments adopted on July 2, 2019 as Ordinance 2019-22 and Resolution 2019-31 primarily pertaining to in the Industrial Zones and the addition of Indoor Commercial Recreation land use to the Light Industrial (LI) zone.
- A series of amendments pertaining to Accessory Dwelling Units was adopted on November 5, 2019 as Ordinance 2019-31 and Resolution 2019-48.
- A series of miscellaneous amendments were adopted on November 5, 2019 as Ordinance 2019-31 and Resolution 2019-48. to incorporate technical, enforcement, and cross-reference corrections, clarifications, and modifications.
- A modification to the Rural Floodplain Map for the property located at 3451 East Lake Mary Road was adopted on April 7, 2020 as Ordinance 2020-05.
- A series of miscellaneous amendments were adopted on May 5, 2020 as Ordinance 2020-11 and Resolution 2020-17. to incorporate time frames, technical, enforcement, clarifications, and modifications.
- A series of amendments pertaining to High Occupancy Housing was adopted on November 17, 2020 as Ordinance 2020-28 and Resolution 2020-59. Link to the Information page High Occupancy Housing Zoning Code,
- An amendment to the Affordable Housing Incentive to allow the City Council to approve modifications to certain property development standards of permanently affordable housing developments that provide 100% of the dwelling units to persons or families with a household income equal to 80% or less of the area median income. Ordinance 2021-05 and Resolution 2021-11 were adopted on March 23, 2021.