Staff is currently working on several different amendments to the Zoning Code.
Upcoming Zoning Code Amendments that are Planned
- Miscellaneous modifications to address a series of technical corrections, resolve conflicts, clarify requirements, etc.
- Modifications to implement the goal, policies, and implementation strategies of the La Plaza Vieja Neighborhood Plan (PDF).
- Modifications to implement a series of public requests to amend the Zoning Code related to rock outcropping, seeping springs, wild life corridors, and prairie dogs.
Proposed New Amendments Open for Public Comment
- Case Number PZ-19-00123 Updates to Zoning Code 2020 - Neighborhood Community Commercial (NCC) (Updated July 22, 2020) (PDF)
- Planning Work Session - August 14, 2019
- City Council Work Session - October 8, 2019
- July 15, 2020 Virtual Open House Meeting (English)
- Video Virtual Open House Meeting
- July 20, 2020 Virtual Open House Meeting (Spanish Translation will be Provided)
- Spanish Translation of the Presentation for the Virtual Open House Meeting
- Planning Work Session - August 12, 2020
- City Council Work Session - August 25, 2020
- Potential Planning Commission Hearing - On Hold
- Potential City Council 1st Hearing - On Hold
- Potential City Council 2nd Hearing - On Hold
- Case Number PZ-19-00125 Updates to Zoning Code 2019 - High Occupancy Housing Land Use (PDF)
- Planning Commission Work Session - May 27, 2020
- City Council Work Session - June 9, 2020
- Planning Work Session - August 12, 2020 - Continued to August 26, 2020
- City Council Work Session - August 25, 2020
- Planning Commission Work Session - September 23, 2020
- Planning Commission Public Hearing - October 28, 2020
- City Council 1st Hearing - November 3, 2020
- City Council 2nd Hearing - November 17, 2020
- Case Number PZ-19-00248 Updates to Zoning Code 2020 - Outdoor Lighting Requirements (PDF)
- Potential Planning Commission Work Session - Spring, 2021
- Potential Planning Commission Hearing - Spring, 2021
- Potential City Council Work Session - Spring, 2021
- Case Number PZ -19-00127 Updates to Zoning Code 2019 - Mixed Use - Updated June 18, 2019 (PDF)
- Planning Commission Work Session - June 28, 2019
- Planning Commission Work Session - August 14, 2019
- Planning Commission Work Session - On Hold
- Case Number PZ-19-00169 Updates to Zoning Code 2019 - Telecommunication Facilities (ON HOLD) (PDF)
- City Council Work Session - January 14, 2020
Email Comments & Question
Comments and questions may be emailed to:
Dan Symer, AICP
Email Dan Symer
Note: All amendments that have incorporate in the codified Zoning Code.
Previously Approved Amendments:
- Division 10-20.50 (Amendments to the Zoning Code Text and the Zoning Map): adopted on November 5, 2013, Ordinance Number 2013-21. These amendments established a new process and procedure for zone changes.
- Section 10-50.100.080.E (Flagstaff Mall and Marketplace District): adopted on November 5, 2013, Ordinance Number 2013-22. These amendments allowed for the installation of a new monument sign for the Flagstaff Mall and Marketplace District.
- Division 10-50.100 (Sign Standards): adopted on November 18, 2014, Ordinance Number 2014-27. These amendments to the City's sign standards addressed concerns from the City Council and local residents with the complexity of the former sign standards, especially for building mounted signs, and for the proliferation of temporary signs within the City.
- Division 10-20.100 (Assurance of Performance for Construction): adopted on March 4, 2015, Ordinance Number 2015-01. These amendments updated the standards and procedures regarding assurances for construction.
- Section 10-40.30.050 (Industrial Uses) and Sections 10-80.20.060 (Definitions, "F.") and 10-80.20.200 (Definitions, "T."): adopted on May 5, 2015, Ordinance Number 2015-03. These amendments to the industrial zones, Table B, Allowed Uses and in the definitions clarify that freight and trucking facilities are a permitted use in the RD (Research and Development Zone).
- Comprehensive suite of amendments throughout the Zoning Code under Ordinance 2016-07 adopted on February 16, 2016 comprising mostly minor clarifications and corrections, but also some significant amendments to Section 10-40.40.030 to allow single-family dwellings and duplexes by right in the CC Zone, Section 10-40.60.260 (Mixed Use) and 10-40.60.280 (Planned Residential Development), Section 10-50.80.080 (Parking Spaces, Parking Lot Design and Layout) and in Division 10-50.110 to add two new building types; apartment building and stacked triplex.
- Division 10-50.100 (Sign Standards): adopted on June 21, 2016, Ordinance Number 2016-22. These amendments reconciled the sign standards with the U.S. Supreme Court's decision in the Reed v. Town of Gilbert.
- Series of amendments adopted April 4, 2017 as Ordinance 2017-10. The amendments included: Section 10-50.80.080.C (ADA Parking), clarifying the depth of an ADA parking space; Sections 10-40.60.030, 10-80.20.010 (ADUs) created a definition for Attached and Detached ADUs, created standards for the attachment, and clarified the required amenities; Sections 10-40.30, and 10-40.40, 10-50.80 and 10-80.20.160 (Places of Worship), created a definition and land use classification for places of worship, and permit the use in all zones; and Section 10-90.40.030 (Rural Floodplain Map), revised the rural floodplain map back to the boundaries of the 1991 map.
- Series of amendments adopted December, 19 2017 as Ordinance 2017-31 primarily to the Transect zone related standards.
- A modification to the Section 10- 50.100.100 Sign Districts of Special Designation to add the West University Drive Entrance District sign district and related provisions. Adopted March 13, 2018. Ordinance Number 2018-14
- A modification to the approval process for a Conditional Use Permit to allow the City Council to review the decision of the Planning and Zoning Commission, including the ability to uphold, approve, or deny a Conditional Use Permit.
- A series of amendments adopted on July 2, 2019 as Ordinance 2019-22 and Resolution 2019-31 primarily pertaining to in the Industrial Zones and the addition of Indoor Commercial Recreation land use to the Light Industrial (LI) zone.
- A series of amendments pertaining to Accessory Dwelling Units was adopted on November 5, 2019 as Ordinance 2019-31 and Resolution 2019-48.
- A series of miscellaneous amendments were adopted on November 5, 2019 as Ordinance 2019-31 and Resolution 2019-48. to incorporate technical, enforcement, and cross reference corrections, clarifications, and modifications.
- A modification to the Rural Floodplain Map for the property located at 3451 East Lake Mary Road was adopted on April 7, 2020 as Ordinance 2020-05.
- A series of miscellaneous amendments were adopted on May 5, 2020 as Ordinance 2020-11 and Resolution 2020-17. to incorporate time frames, technical, enforcement, clarifications, and modifications.