What does the Water Conservation Program do?
1. Free Water Check-Ups: Water Conservation Staff will come to your residence or business and do a free assessment of all water fixtures in your house. We'll suggest ways you can save water and even give FREE replacement parts like aerators and showerheads. We'll also help you assess for leaks and try to figure out why you might have gotten a REALLY HIGH water bill. Call us to set up an appointment: (928) 213-2116.
2. High-Efficiency Toilet Rebate Program: Replace your old toilets! Toilets manufactured before 1994 use 3.5 to 7 gallons of water per flush. New WaterSense models use as little as 1.28 gallons per flush. This program is open to residents and businesses.
3. Low Water Landscape Rebate Program: You can replace your lawn (or your business's lawn) with low-water-use plants that are locally available and well-suited to this environment. We will help you assess water savings and provide suggestions for which low water plants might best suit your landscape.
4. Rainwater Harvesting Tank Rebate: One inch of rain will provide 600 gallons of water for every 1,000 square feet of
5. Rainwater Container Program: This unique program repurposes containers used in water treatment and other local industries for rain catchment. We retrofit 55-gallon barrels and 270-gallon totes (plastic cube containers) with spigots so you can use these to collect rainwater. You can sign up to get on the waiting list by filling out this form. Be warned - the wait may be long!
6. Local businesses can be part of our Water Wise Business Program!
7. Join Conserve2Enhance - a unique local program that connects water savings to community action. Your donations, based on water savings, provide funding for enhancement projects in Flagstaff.
8. Abide by the City’s current watering rules. Each summer, we have friendly Water Conservation Staff out on bikes, checking on commercial and residential irrigators, and enforcing the rules if needed. Be sure to irrigate on the days corresponding to your address!
10. Water Awareness Month: Each April we enthusiastically celebrate all things water conservation with an art contest and show, outreach events around town, videos, pledges, and of course - lots of free prizes to help you save water.
11. We're currently working on a Strategic Plan for the Water Conservation Program! More details and links to events and ways to get involved will be posted to the Strategic Plan webpage regularly.
12. Track your water use by accessing your account to see your water consumption throughout the year.
13. Check out all the amazing Tips and Resouces we have to help you save water!
Since 1988, the City of Flagstaff’s Water Conservation Program has helped customers reduce their water use by 50%!
Flagstaff citizens use about 91 gallons of water per person per day*. Although we have done a great job in reducing our water consumption over the past few decades, we can — and should — do more.
* Per-capita water use is calculated by adding all of the water consumed for commercial, industrial, and residential needs and dividing by the total population