- Home Page Links
- Do Something
Do Something - Winter Exposure: Risks & Awareness
When temperatures drop significantly below normal, staying warm and safe can be a challenge and during the cold winter months people are susceptible to exposure to the elements. Serious health problems can result from prolonged exposure to the cold, such as hypothermia and frostbite. The outer layer of clothing should be tightly woven, preferably wind resistant, to reduce body-heat loss caused by wind. Wool, silk, or polypropylene inner layers of clothing will hold more body heat than cotton. Stay dry—wet clothing chills the body rapidly. Sadly there have been exposure deaths in the northern Arizona community. Please remember if you see someone at risk of winter exposure – do something! Contact a service for weather exposure situations. There are many community resources and programs, below are a few highlights:
- Flagstaff Shelter Services; 4185 E. Huntington Dr.; Flagstaff Shelter Services Website; Phone: 928-225-2533
- Sunshine Rescue Mission; 117 S. San Francisco; Sunshine Rescue Mission Website; Phone: 928-774-3512
- Northland Family Help Center; 2532 N. 4th Street #506; Northland Family Website; Phone: 928-527-1900
- Catholic Charities: Projects for Assistance in Transition from Homelessness (PATH); 2101 N. 4th Street; Email the Project Team or Catholic Charities Website ; Phone: 928-774-9125
- Flagstaff Fire Department: All-Risk Unit and/or Community Alternate Response Truck (CRT); Flagstaff Fire Department Website; Phone: 928-213-2505
- Northland Family Help Center: 2100 N Walgreens Street; Northland Family Help Center Website; Phone: 928-527-1800
- Crisis Response Network (CRN): Phone: 877-756-4090; Crisis Response Network Website
Resources & Contacts
Shelter and program volunteers are needed and training is available... if you are interested in being involved and want more information contact the shelter or program directly.
- Complete Flagstaff Area Resource Guide (PDF)
- February 10, 2017 City Press Release "Zero Winter Exposure Deaths in Flagstaff Reported in 2017 - Thank You Community!" (PDF)
- January 19, 2017 City Press Release "Winter Exposure: Risks & Awareness – Do Something" (PDF)
- Snow News
Please email Communications Manager, Jessica Drum to contact the Winter Survival Partners.
Remember if you see someone at risk of winter exposure – do something!