Affordable Renting in Flagstaff
- How do you qualify for affordable rentals?
- I am interested in Low Income Public Housing.
- I am interested in Section 8 Housing Choice Vouchers.
- I am interested in Clark Homes.
- I am interested in commercial affordable housing (units in traditional apartment complexes).
- What other affordable housing is available in Flagstaff? What about senior housing?
- I am looking for housing authorities elsewhere in Arizona or the country; where should I go?
Affordable rentals are generally income-qualified in some way. That means would-be tenant families can earn no more than a certain amount per year. For the current AMI table, click here.
Section 8 Housing Choice Vouchers and Low Income Public Housing process applicant families who live or work in Flagstaff ahead of those who do not. Clark Homes has various points that move applicants up their waiting list.
Public Housing was established to provide decent and safe rental housing for eligible low-income families, the elderly, and persons with disabilities. The City of Flagstaff Housing Authority has two main Public Housing locations: Siler Homes, and Brannen Homes, with several homes scattered throughout the city.
If you are currently a tenant in Siler Homes, Brannen Homes, or our Scattered Sites, you can learn more at the Public Housing Program Information page under Information for Public Housing Residents.
If you missed a recent newsletter or wish to read our recent public housing newsletters, you can find the archive here. If you have recommendations for submissions, please submit those to firstname.lastname@example.org to be reviewed.
Section 8 Housing Choice Vouchers (HCVs) assist households with a rental voucher that helps tenants pay for their rent. Given the high ongoing demand for HCVs, applications windows open and close to manage the waiting list.
The Section 8 HCV waiting list is currently closed to new applicants. It closed on April 9, 2020. We will publish the next opening at least thirty (30) days in advance. That date has not been set at this time.
You can learn more about the Section 8 Program at the Program Page here. This page contains information for applicants, program participants (voucher holders), and landlords.
In 2019, the Section 8 Program began issuing quarterly newsletters. For an archive of those newsletters, go here.
Clark Homes is an affordable rental property, managed by the City of Flagstaff Housing Authority. Clark Homes has one- to four-bedroom homes available. Clark Homes strives to be a drug-free and crime-free community that is safe and comfortable for families of all sizes.
If you wish to apply for Clark Homes, contact the Housing Specialist, Amanda Thomas, at email@example.com or by mail at 990 North Thorpe Road, Flagstaff, AZ 86001, and request an application be mailed to you. Request for applications must be in writing. At this time, the Clark Homes front desk is closed to the public due to COVID-19 restrictions.
Low-Income Housing Tax Credit properties (LIHTC, often pronounced "li-tek") are developments that work directly with the Arizona Department of Housing (ADOH) to offer subsidized rental units. To verify availability, contact these developments directly.
Low-Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC) Properties (up to 60% AMI)
LIHTC properties can serve tenants who earn up to 60% AMI based on household size.
- Cedar Crest Apartments | 2251 North Izabel Street | (928) 773-1699
- High Country Estates | 250 W. High Country Trail | (928) 213-0600
- Oakwood Village Apartments I, II, and III | 3770 South Yaqui Drive | (928) 773-8500
- Pinehurst Apartments | 1001 North 4th Street | (928) 527-8600
- Timber Trails Apartments | 200 West High Country Trail | (928) 556-0500
- Village at Lake Mary Crossing | 60 East Anita Avenue | (928) 779-4875
LIHTC and Other Senior Housing
Some LIHTC properties are specifically directed to seniors who earn no up to 60% AMI:
- Flagstaff Senior Meadows | 1351 North Pine Cliff Drive | (928) 527-6998
- Sandstone Highlands Senior Community | 300 West High Country Trail | (928) 773-4420
LIHTC properties work directly with the Arizona Department of Housing (ADOH). You can find their website here.
Caring.com provides a one-stop for senior housing, including in Flagstaff and throughout Arizona. Caring.com does not focus on affordable housing, therefore these resources may not be appropriate for income-restricted households. For information, see below:
City of Flagstaff Affordable Housing Incentive Properties (up to 80% AMI)
Other affordable housing properties include the below, which set aside a certain number of affordable units as part of the Affordable Housing Incentive Policy. These affordable units are for households who earn up to 80% AMI:
- Elevation Apartments | 5000 North Mall Way | (928) 526-0599
- Ridge at Clear Creek | 997 East Pine Knoll Drive | (928) 774-0223
If you’re a developer interested in Affordable Housing Incentives, contact Jennifer Mikelson at firstname.lastname@example.org or (928) 213-2744.
You may be able to find additional affordable housing options through Social Serve at http://www.socialserve.com/tenant/AZ/.
You can find other public housing authorities using the Housing and Urban Development (HUD) website. For the specific Arizona list, see the Public Housing Authority Contact Report for Arizona.