Incentives for Developers
- What do I need to know about Low-Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC) properties?
- What do I need to know about the City of Flagstaff’s Incentive Policy for Affordable Housing?
- If you’re seeking affordable rentals as a would-be tenant, click here.
- If you’re seeking affordable home purchasing assistance, click here.
If you have questions about housing incentives, contact Jennifer Mikelson, Housing Analyst.
Phone: (928) 213-2744
2323 N. Walgreens St.
Flagstaff, AZ 86001
The Low Income Housing Tax Credit Program (LIHTC) is a program of the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) providing tax credits that may be sold to private investors to generate direct equity. The proceeds from the sales of the tax credits then finance a portion of the affordable housing development costs. In Arizona, the program is administered by the Arizona Department of Housing. Many LIHTC properties also offer units to Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher program participants.
Accessing Tax Credits
Tax credits may be accessed in one of the two following ways:
- The State of Arizona holds an annual competition to distribute its annual allocation of 9% tax credits. This application round is generally held in the spring with award reservations made in the summer.
- Four percent tax credits are available on a noncompetitive basis to qualified projects that have received a private activity bond allocation from the state. A separate tax credit application is required at the time of the submission of a bond application and whether or not tax credits may be provided to the project is determined through an underwriting review.
Current Commercial Affordable Rental Properties
The LIHTC program results in the creation of affordable rental properties. The following apartment complexes offer affordable rental units (up to 60% AMI) in Flagstaff:
- Cedar Crest Apartments | 2251 North Izabel Street | (928) 773-1699
- High Country Estates | 250 W. High Country Trail | (928) 213-0600
- Oakwood Village Apartments I, II, and III | 3770 South Yaqui Drive | (928) 773-8500
- Pinehurst Apartments | 1001 North 4th Street | (928) 527-8600
- Timber Trails Apartments | 200 West High Country Trail | (928) 556-0500
- Village at Lake Mary Crossing | 60 East Anita Avenue | (928) 779-4875
Some LIHTC properties are specifically directed to seniors who earn no up to 60% AMI:
- Flagstaff Senior Meadows | 1351 North Pine Cliff Drive | (928) 527-6998
- Sandstone Highlands Senior Community | 300 West High Country Trail | (928) 773-4420
You can review the Flagstaff Incentive Policy for Affordable Housing at here. This incentive policy was revised in 2017.