Coconino Estates Improvements Project
This is a utility and roadway improvements project located in the Coconino Estates neighborhood on Beal Road from Rockridge to Fort Valley, Navajo Drive from Navajo Road to Murray; Whipple Road from Navajo Drive to McMillan and; Navajo Road from Navajo Drive to Fort Valley. Improvements on the streets generally consist of replacing existing infrastructure with new, including water and sewer mains, water and sewer services, fire hydrants, storm drains, street lights, the entire asphalt road way, and defective select edge improvements (curb & gutter, sidewalk, etc.), except for Whipple Road which will only receive a new water main. There will also be new infrastructure added consisting of underground electric lines for street lighting and sidewalk on both sides of the street where it does not currently existing on Beal Road (Ft. Valley to Navajo Drive), Navajo Drive (Beal Road to Navajo Road) and on Navajo Road (Navajo Drive to Ft. Valley).
Cost: $6,588,283 (South), North Portion Estimate $3.2 Million
- W. BEAL Rd. from Rockridge Rd. to Fort Valley Rd.
- N. NAVAJO Dr. from Navajo Rd. to Murray Rd.
- W. WHIPPLE Rd. from Navajo Dr. to McMillan Rd. (only minor waterline improvements)
- W. NAVAJO Rd. from Navajo Dr. to Fort Valley Rd.
Project Manager: Eli Reisner
Project Description: The improvements on the streets listed above generally consist of replacing existing infrastructure with new including water and sewer mains, water and sewer services, fire hydrants, storm drains, streetlights, the entire asphalt roadway, curb and gutter, and driveways. There is an exception to this on Whipple Road, which will only receive a new water main and water services. There will also be new infrastructure added to the Project consisting of new underground electric lines for street lighting and new sidewalk on both sides of the street on Beal Road, Navajo Drive (south of Beal) and on Navajo Road.
Timeline: Spring 2020 – Fall 2022
Contractor: Eagle Mountain Construction
2020 Periodic Updates
- Continuing construction of water main and services in Navajo Road.
- Beginning construction of water and sewer main in Navajo Road and Hopi Drive intersection.
- Navajo Road is closed to thru traffic.
- The Navajo Road and Hopi Drive intersection is closed to all traffic from July 20 – August 21.
- Detours are posted around the closures.
- During the Navajo Road and Hopi Drive intersection closure Mountain Line Bus route #5 will detour down Beal Road and Aztec Street to get from Fort Valley Road to Thorpe Road instead of its typical route down Navajo Road and Hopi Drive.
- Mountain Line’s stops 7 and 25 on route #5 will be closed during the Navajo Road and Hopi Drive intersection closure, riders have been informed to use stops 2 and 26 instead.
- Public flyer/notification is being delivered to residents on a weekly basis.
The Contractor is currently installing the new sewer main and services in Navajo Road.
Navajo Road is closed to thru traffic with the posted detour down Apache Road.
- Staff has prepared a City Council Report regarding citizen concerns about 2 spruce trees that are to be removed to allow for installation of sidewalk and to improve safety of the Beal/US180 intersection and the Ft. Valley FUTS trail.