Publications: Firewise Tips, Maps, Programs and Reports
***Please note that on this page, some files are large and make take some time to load.
Forest Bond #405
Approved in all 26 city precincts, 73.6% YES votes, on Nov 7th, 2012. View all plans, presentations, summaries and documents at the Flagstaff Watershed Protection Project
- Backyard Wildlife Habitat & Fire Safety - How to design your backyard to promote wildlife habitat, reduce water use and minimize wildfire risk.
- Becoming a FireWise Community - How your neighborhood can become a recognized FireWise Community.
- Before You Build - Firewise requirements for new construction in the Flagstaff Area.
- Dollars and Sense - Thinning trees not only reduces wildfire risk, but improves property value!
- Fire Resistant Landscaping for the Flagstaff Area - Provides guidelines on selection, location, and maintenance of plants.
- Firewise - How to make your home and neighborhood Firewise.
- Firewise Mulch - Fire resistance properties of various mulch materials.
- Firewise Plants - List of FireWise plant recommendations for 3,000' and up.
- Homeowner Action Plan - Recommended risk-reduction actions for homeowners.
- Slash Pile Guidelines - Lists requirements for constructing burn piles.
- Vendor-List---Mar-2019 - Partial list of vendors who provide tree and forest treatment services in the greater Flagstaff area. Individuals listed have attended one or more past workshops hosted by the Flagstaff Fire.
- #1 Community - Depicts the highest wildfire threat areas in Arizona.
- Arizona Wildfire Risk Assessment Portal
- City-Wide Neighborhood Wildfire Threat Assessment Map - Based upon factors that influence wildfire threat: vegetation density, access, water sources, slope, recently completed forest treatments, and home construction features: Low (Blue), Moderate (Green), High (Yellow), Extreme (Red).
- Greater Flagstaff Forest Partnership Treatment Map
- Neighborhood Wildfire Threat Assessment Rankings -A list of neighborhoods and their wildfire threat rankings as determined in the City-Wide Wildfire Threat Assessment
- WUI Map - Map illustrating Flagstaff’s WUI in relation to the WUI-IFC Code
- "Bark Beetles" - 2002 infestation and treatment options.
- "Briefing - Primary" - Overview of the Dept's Wildland Fire Management program.
- "Council - County Overview - 4FRI" - 2010 Overview of Four Forests Restoration Initiative.
- "Firewise Construction" - Techniques to build a Firewise home.
- "Firewise Preparedness" - Steps to take to reduce fire risk in, and around your home.
- "WUI - Orientation" - Overview of the City's Wildland Urban Interface Code.
- "Airport Zone Snapshot" - Summary of collaborative approach to planning and implementing the City's Airport project.
- "American Planning Association PSA" - Article detailing the FFD approach to community protection from the context of urban forestry.
- "Auto Tour Handout." - This self guided auto-tour explores forest treatments on the west side of Flagstaff. The treatments are part of a collaborative effort among many agencies, organizations, and other interested parties to restore our forests to a healthy and sustainable condition, and reduce the threat of destructive wildfire.
- "Biomass Briefing" - Report on planning and outcome of City of Flagstaff biomass recovery initiative.
- “City Well Field Project Briefing.” - Summary of the objectives, and procedures use in treatment of the City Well Field project.
- "Code Adoption - Avoid the Agony" - Outlines the City's approach to adoption of the Wildland Urban Interface code.
- "FFD Deck Tests" - Article on ad-hoc testing (process and outcomes) of composite building material.
- "FFD Prescribed Fire Emissions" - Summarizes differences in smoke emissions between prescribed fire and wildfire.
- "FFD WUI Code Adoption" - Article on the method utilized, and the results, durring the City of Flagstaff adoption process.
- "Fighting Fire with Fire." - Since 1996, the Flagstaff Fire Department has been successfully engaged in this activity in an urban setting.
- “Flagstaff Interface Treatment Prescription” - Details the approach utilized by Flagstaff-area fire managers to reduce the threat of wildfire.
- "Flagstaff Pulliam Airport Fuels Reduction Project" - Report detailing the purpose, process, and outcomes of this collaborative treatment project.
- “Forest Stewardship Plan.” - City wide plan discussing current conditions, desired future conditions and forest treatment activities to reduce wildfire risk and promote forest health.
- “Hazard Fuels Mitigation Guidelines.” - Explains FFD’s Hazardous Fuels Mitigation Procedure.
- "It Works" - Documents the 2006 Woody Fire and the 2010 Hardy Fire and the effects forest treatments had in reducing damage and permitting effective fire suppression operations to occur.
- "Living with Wildfire in Arizona." - This document provides ecological, wildfire behavior and wildfire prevention/preparedness information for each of Arizona’s six major fuel types. It is to be used as a reference for natural resource and fire managers, fire departments and the public.
- "Observatory Mesa Forest Stewardship Plan" - This plan discusses current conditions of Observatory Mesa's forest, desired future conditions and treatments to promote reduction of wildfire risk and promoting forest health.
- "Rx Fire and Smoke" - Find out what fire managers do to reduce smoke and how to reduce your own smoke exposure.
- "Schultz Fire Assessment" - Review of Schultz Fire (June 2010) and impact to the City's water pipeline.
- "Surviving a Wildfire in Arizona" - Learn to Understand, prepare for and prevent wildfires.
- "Tornado Damage Assessment" - Review of Oct 6, 2010 tornado storm in the Flagstaff area.
- “The Wildland Urban Interface: What’s Really At Risk?” - A new definition of interface is required, along with a commitment to protect community values-at-risk.
- “Wildland Fire Management Program.” - Protecting Community Values-At-Risk.