How can I dispose of prescription/over-the-counter medications?

Prescription or over-the-counter medications are not accepted at the HPC and medication should NEVER be flushed down the toilet. Medications pose a serious threat to our water sources and water treatment plants, as well as children, pets and wildlife. 

Citizens Against Substance Abuse (CASA) in conjunction with law enforcement holds a medication/drug disposal event twice a year; hold on to your old medications and dispose of them at the CASA event for safe and proper disposal. Please contact CASA at (928) 779.5361 for more information. 

Or after following ADEQ's Prescription Drug Disposal Brochure* medications / pharmaceuticals can be disposed of in normal trash with ultimate disposal occurring at the Cinder Lake Landfill.

ADEQ Prescription Drug Disposal Guidelines

Show All Answers

1. What is accepted at the Hazardous Products Center (HPC)?
2. Why is the Flagstaff Hazardous Products Center (HPC) at the Cinder Lake Landfill?
3. Is there another place in town that will accept my hazardous waste?
4. How do I properly package and transport waste to the HPC?
5. When is the HPC open to residents?
6. I have a business; can I bring my hazardous waste to the HPC?
7. How do I safely dispose of sharps (needles)?
8. How can I dispose of prescription/over-the-counter medications?
9. Does the HPC accept smoke detectors?
10. Can I dispose of compressed gas cylinders, other than propane, at the HPC?
11. How do I dispose of broken Compact Fluorescent Lamps (CFLs) or thermometers?
12. Can empty paint cans be recycled?
13. What can I do with my left-over paint?