Can I accrue over 40 hours of compensation time?

Employees are allowed to accrue in excess of 40 hours, except for commissioned fire personnel, who shall be allowed to accrue 56 hours. These maximums may be exceeded only upon the express written authorization of the City Manager after a written request of the employee’s Department Head, but in no event shall authorization be given to accrue compensatory time in excess of 180 hours. Hours of compensatory time in excess of the above maximums must be used prior to June 30 next succeeding the date on which such authorized excess compensatory time is earned. Such excess compensatory time not used prior to the June 30 date shall not be carried over to subsequent periods.

To request to accrue excess compensatory time, please complete the Compensatory Time - Excess Accrual Authorization Request Form (PDF).

Show All Answers

1. How do I find out what benefits I have elected? Who I have covered on my benefits? How much my contributions are?
2. How do I utilize the Employee Assistance Program for free counseling services?
3. How do I change / cancel my 457 Plan (Deferred Comp, VOYA, or ICMA-RC) contributions?
4. I have a Health Savings Account. Can I change my contributions?
5. I have a Flexible Spending Account. Can I change my contributions?
6. I have submitted my Notice of Resignation. Can I still take time off?
7. On my last paycheck, will I be paid for accrued sick leave, vacation time, etc.?
8. I am looking at retiring soon. What do I need to do?
9. I would like to utilize a temporary agency to hire a temporary employee. Do I need to go through HR?
10. Can I get a copy of something in my 201 File?
11. How do I get a copy of my check stub?
12. Can I carry over excess vacation time if I am over the maximum?
13. Can I accrue over 40 hours of compensation time?